6 August 2013

Non-reno wish list

While we've got a bunch of tradies about the place, and we've moved out, there are a few other things not directly related to the renovation that'd be nice to get done. Whether we can afford them all at the same time as the reno remains to be seen, but I thought it worth putting them down on paper, I mean, pixels. They're in no particular order, and will need to be costed and prioritised at some point.

  1. Repaint the house exterior. It's been a good ten years since it's been painted, and some bits are looking a bit tired, some are positively flaky, and others were never painted in the first place (like the bit behind the old hot water tank).
  2. Replace the fried ducted vacuum unit. I don't vacuum (I spend my therapy money on a fortnightly housecleaner - far better value), so I don't notice it particularly, but those who do love it. The ducting is all in place, we only need to replace the unit itself.
  3. Add an air conditioner to the 'war room'. The formal dining room has been given over to a geek's paradise. There are four large desks (one for each of us), each with a computer box, two monitors, and assorted crap. (That's additional to the rather embarrassing number of portable devices we have from laptops to iPads to Android tablets to various iPhones/iPods with varying levels of functionality.) Even in the heat of summer, with a large window facing west, this is where the boys (all three of them) tend to camp out. Having an air con in here makes a lot more sense than one in the large open plan area out the back. And the one that's there at the moment is in the way of the overhead kitchen cupboards. Oh, and there's no fighting allowed in the war room.
  4. Replace the back deck. The size and shape and location are fine, given the other parameters, but many of the boards are warped and splintery. (We've had at least two doctor's visits to remove splinters from it.) Partly it's because we haven't maintained them (apparently you're supposed to regularly oil them. Who knew?), and partly because a previous owner lined the underside with metal siding sheets, so there's no air circulation but there is a pool of water to keep it all damp. Unfortunately, I don't think it's just the boards that need to be replaced; I'm pretty sure many of the joists are rotten thanks to the metal lining.
  5. Add solar power panels. This one should be a no-brainer, except that we don't have any north-facing roof - ours face either east or west. On the other hand, there's lots of roof space, so even if it's not optimally efficient, we could cover the entire west-facing roof with PV solar panels and do a lot to reduce our reliance on the grid. (The hot water system does have a thermal solar (not photovoltaic) system (gas top-up), but (a) the north-facing skillion roof it's on will be gone, and (b) it needs a serious clean - the lichen has taken over, with a noticeable drop in performance. It will need to be done anyway.)
  6. Repaint the house interior. This is a bit of a cheat, as almost every room will be affected by the reno, and will therefore need to be painted. But there are a lot of ghastly wallpaper borders (seriously) that need to go, and light shades that need the awful decoupage attachments removed, and wall finishes that are really rather tacky. If we can keep the three year old drapes in the back room, plus the boys rooms, by choosing sympathetic palettes, then that would be great.
  7. I'm sure I'll think of more, probably in the middle of the night when I'm desperate for sleep. I'll add them as I think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment