5 August 2013

Idea file: main downstairs bathroom (vanity/washstand)

I'm a little less certain about what I want it this room, or rather how I want it to look. (It's presently a junk room/would have been office)

There will be a bath, reusing the existing enamelled cast-iron clawfoot bath (dark green on the outside).
Existing bath, in situ

There will be a double basin washstand of some sort, with a mirrored cabinet above it.

There will be a toilet.

There will likely be some additional storage and bits to deal with the (a) ducted heating air intake majigger, and (b) the downpipe from the upstairs bedroom.

My first pass layout is like this (room on the right):
Those things that look like breasts is supposed to be a double basin washstand.

The bath is definitely more 'Victorian' than 'Arts and Crafts' (the period most closely correlated with California Bungalows), but I'm happy to mix my styles particularly as the two styles overlapped chronologically. I think I'd like something a little period sympathetic, without being slavishly authentic.

You can wade through all the pretty pictures, or you can jump to the one I've fallen in love with by clicking HERE.

Clawfoot plus A&C washstand (in the '1900 suite' of a  Georgian house). 

I rather like the washstand option in this picture, and was leaning towards something like this even before I found the photo. Given our fairly tight budget, it will almost certainly be a reproduction rather than an original, but I could see something like these with a couple of shallow basins sitting on top.




Ooooh! Pretty!

Anyway, a low timber cabinet, with a marble surface, and a surround of some sort, possibly with a bit of forest green inlay tile. Two shallow top-mount basins would be needed.


Pretty, but probably not in budget. And would be sullied by the kids' toothpaste dregs.



Although I really rather like this one too...

Making that a two-basin one wouldn't be too hard. (What's interesting to me is that this is the kind of thing I automatically leaned towards for the ensuite even before I'd done any research.)

Here are some others along the same lines





But I think this is my most favouritest one of all.

And the medicine cabinet type thing would be done in a similar style. Something simple, like this, but with mirrors in the panels, and handles matching the washstand.




As an indication, I can order one of these for $1500 from Schots (excluding tapware and accessories)

or this one for $2500


No comments:

Post a Comment