31 May 2014

Bedside lights

One of the things that has already happened is that holes have been drilled and wires run for the new switches and lights, including our wall-mounted bedside lights. I'm not completely convinced they're in the right place (I think the one on JD's side is too close to the door). Except I haven't really thought much about what they should be. So here goes:

JD and I rarely go to sleep at the same time, so it is important that the light be such that one person can read without overly disturbing the other's attempts to get to sleep. In turn that means that:
* the light should be fairly focused, rather than diffuse (no uplights, for example)
* the light beam should be easily redirected, in case it's reflecting off a page/tablet screen
* it should be height adjustable, to allow for sitting up or reading lying down

It should also be period-sympathetic, but need not be slavishly so.

I suspect something with an articulated arm might be the go, for example something like:

Option 1, but with a narrower shade, perhaps


Anyone got the faintest idea where I might find something like this?

Restoration hardware (US) has something similar, but at US$199 + shipping, it's not my first choice.
20th C library double sconce aged steel [link]
But using that search term ('library sconce') is much more successful in bringing up suitable examples (if not cheaper ones).

Maggie Swing Arm Wall Sconce by Norwell Lighting [link] - US$278
Princeton Senior Sconce 2.25" [link] US$268
Apparently this one is/was US$120 at Target [link]
Any local ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment